pg_dump in 7.2.4 with trigger functions

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump in 7.2.4 with trigger functions
Date: 2005-01-31 04:37:25
Lists: pgsql-general

I realize 7.2.4 is long in the tooth, but it's an old system that's been
running for several years now. Someday we'll upgrade...

However, part of the upgrade will involve dumping and restoring the
tables. I've just did a little playing with pg_dump on one of
the databases and discovered that I can't restore it! Is this
a known problem? If so, is there a workaround? Is this operator
error? If so, can someone point me to what I did wrong?

I did:
->pg_dump -C atst.logdb | gzip >atst.logdb.out.gz
->dropdb atst.logdb
DROP DATABASE
->gunzip <atst.logdb.out.gz | psql -q
ERROR: permission denied to set session authorization
ERROR: permission denied for language c
ERROR: must be superuser to create procedural language
ERROR: permission denied to set session authorization
ERROR: permission denied for schema public
ERROR: permission denied to set session authorization
ERROR: language "plpgsql" does not exist
HINT: You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the database.
ERROR: language "plpgsql" does not exist
HINT: You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the database.
ERROR: permission denied to set session authorization
ERROR: permission denied to set session authorization
ERROR: must be owner of schema public

I see all the permission denied messages, but why? How can a user
create a dump that they cannot load back in (the user has createdb *and*
createuser permissions)?

It looks as though the problems are with the procedural language (the
database has some trigger functions attached to one of the tables), but
I have no clue what went wrong.

Any suggestions would be *most* welcome! [Correct ones even more so...]

Thanks!
Steve

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu