Re: -HEAD on FreeBSD 6-CURRENT build failures

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: -HEAD on FreeBSD 6-CURRENT build failures
Date: 2005-01-28 22:01:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>The way buildfarm works is that it should always run on a clean set of
>>CVS files - i.e. there should no gram.c. We don't even bot6her with
>>clean, distclean, maintainer-clean and friends - we simply copy the
>>source directory tree for each run. The fact that Darcy's builds don't
>>show a call to bison indicates to me that his source dir (
>>/buildfarm/pg-buildfarm/HEAD/pgsql ) might not be clean for some reason
>>that is not clear to me.
>>

>Hmm, source directory used for a build and then not maintainer-clean'd
>perhaps?

That would do it. Basically the user should not touch anything inside
<buildroot>, any more that they should touch anything in <datadir>/base.

>If you do the copy without -p then the copy would tend to lose the
>timestamps that would show that the gram.c file is out of date.
>I suppose "cp -p" would be a bad idea because of permissions issues,
>but you could consider replacing the cp with "tar cf - | tar xf -"
>to preserve timestamps better.

If we needed to, yes. rsync also works very nicely on stuff like this -
and I have been using it in my day job for such a purpose. But I think
the answer in this case is "don't do that." Darcy has cleaned out his
source directory and all now seems well.

cheers

andrew