Borland memo broken

From: David <time(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Borland memo broken
Date: 2005-01-28 10:44:05
Lists: pgsql-odbc
First up, I'd like to thank Dave for nearly single-handedly keeping this
project alive. :)

Sadly, the only usable version for me has been 7.03.0200 - bug 996 "bad
typenames sent to postgresql server" in later versions was a real
showstopper until you rolled out 8.00.0003-4.

On the other hand, later versions fix bug 974 "problem with schemas" (or
similar), which meant that a Delphi BDE app couldn't see indexes
properly and crashed while navigating a dataset, unless each table name
was prefixed with the schema name, eg "public.customer".

My remaining problem is that Memo (Text) types are broken (for BDE apps)
after 7.03.0200: "Record size is too big for table". No combination of
ODBC driver settings works around it. Setting MaxLongVarChar to 7947 or
less (probably dependent on my record size) changes the error to "Type
mismatch for field 'Notes', expecting: String actual: Unknown".

I'd hazard a guess that the problem lies in a change to convert.c?
Unfortunately, there were a stack of changes between 7.03.0200 and
7.03.0209 (the first release I can confirm broken) - versions 1.107
through 1.115 for this module. If you can send me any in-between builds,
I could narrow down the source of the problem a lot more.

http://www.delphi32.com/info_facts/faq/faq_922.asp  notes that the
Postgresql ODBC driver looks for a terminating null rather than reading
the size parameter. If this is relevant, there's only three or so
versions that might be the culprit.

HTH

David

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: David BrownDate: 2005-01-28 10:51:48
Previous:From: stewarrbDate: 2005-01-27 22:48:32
Subject: Postgresql ODBC Development