Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service startup delay

From: Harald Armin Massa <ghum(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service startup delay
Date: 2005-01-25 08:34:35
Lists: pgsql-patches
Matthew T. O'Connor schrieb:

> In the windows service world, is there any reason pg_autovacuum should
> ever give up?  The reason I had it give up was so that it didn't
> accidently run against a different postgresql instance.  I don't think
> that will happen in the windows service world.  I think it should keep
> trying to do it's job until it's told to exit.

A "never giving up" pg_autovacuum seems a little bit rude to me. It's
like the salesman who keeps trying to sell me something I have clearly
no use.

Especially if in setting up og_autovacuum sth. goes wrong: wrong user,
wrong password. Service keeps running, service keeps using ressources,
seems perfectly normal... but: nothing happens. (and if everything looks
"perfect", checking the logs is not the first you do, do you?)

So: I think a reasonable compromise is to keep pg_autovacuum trying for
some time (maybe 5 minutes as Tom recommended) and after that give up.

Harald