Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service startup delay

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service startup delay
Date: 2005-01-25 03:18:21
Lists: pgsql-patches
Dave Page wrote:

>When starting as a service at boot time on Windows, pg_autovacuum may
>fail to start because the PostgreSQL service is still starting up. This
>patch causes the service to attempt a second connection 30 seconds after
>the initial connection failure before giving up entirely.

In the windows service world, is there any reason pg_autovacuum should
ever give up?  The reason I had it give up was so that it didn't
accidently run against a different postgresql instance.  I don't think
that will happen in the windows service world.  I think it should keep
trying to do it's job until it's told to exit.

Matthew