Re: pg_autovacuum does not start on system

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)tocr(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Harald Massa <ghum(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum does not start on system
Date: 2005-01-24 17:31:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Dave Page wrote:

>The problem with that is that with service start taking 3 minutes,
>restarting the service manually could be somewhat annoying for simple
>config changes (bear in mind that the service doesn't report that it is
>running until it has connected successfully to the database). What about
>a command line option to specify a delay? That way the user will know
>about it because they will have specified it?

One answer might be to have pg_autovacuum not be so pessimistic failed
connections. I wrote it so that pg_autovacuum exits if it fails to
connect. Perhaps instead, when pg_autovacuum fails to connect it should
sleep for a while and then retry. Perhaps the best plan would be a new
command line option that when used tells pg_autovacuum to continue to
retry for ever, when not used, it will still work the way it always did.

Matthew