Re:

From: Aly Dharshi <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>
To: karim(at)zeecore(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2005-01-21 16:48:04
Lists: pgsql-novice
>   1.  How do I programmatically call backup (pg_dump) and vacuum?  I am
> using .NET provider as the interface to the postgreSql.  I didn't see
> any provision in the .Net provider to invoke these commands.  Does
> postgresql support SQL's "BACKUP" and "RESTORE" commands?

	Why not use the AT scheduler to just to a dump for you ? If you do this every
night then that should solve most backup related problems. I think that VACCUM
can be from psql. Check the docs for that one, it should be available.

>   2.  As part of installation I would like to create and populate a new
> database.  What is the easiest way to this?  What I am thinking of doing
> is to install psql client program and using it to create database.  Is
> there any way I don't have to install psql on every client's machine?

	Fastest way is to use the createdb command, so find that one and see if you can
execute that on the database server, this should allow you to create the
database. Someone mentioned PGAdmin III that is a good tool, but make sure that
you can use the command line utilities first.

	Cheers,

	Aly.

--
Aly Dharshi