Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
Cc: Bruno Almeida do Lago <teolupus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date: 2005-01-20 21:05:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hervé Piedvache wrote:

> Dealing about the hardware, for the moment we have only a bi-pentium Xeon
> 2.8Ghz with 4 Gb of RAM ... and we saw we had bad performance results ... so
> we are thinking about a new solution with maybe several servers (server
> design may vary from one to other) ... to get a kind of cluster to get better
> performance ...

The poor performance may not necessarily be:

i) attributable to the hardware or,
ii) solved by clustering.

I would recommend determining *why* you got the slowdown. A few possible
reasons are:

i) not vacuuming often enough, freespacemap settings too small.
ii) postgresql.conf setting very non optimal.
iii) index and/or data design not optimal for PG.

My suspicions would start at iii).

Other posters have pointed out that 250000000 records in itself is not
necessarily a problem, so this sort of data size is manageable.

regards

Mark