Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
Cc: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date: 2005-01-20 15:40:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hervé Piedvache wrote:
> Le Jeudi 20 Janvier 2005 16:23, Dave Cramer a écrit :
>
>>Google uses something called the google filesystem, look it up in
>>google. It is a distributed file system.
>

> Yes that's another point I'm working on ... make a cluster of server using
> GFS ... and making PostgreSQL running with it ...

A few years ago I played around with GFS, but not for postgresql.

I don't think it's going to help - logically there's no difference
between putting PG on GFS and putting PG on NFS - in both cases
the filesystem doesn't provide any support for distributing the
task at hand - and a PG database server isn't written to be
distributed across hosts regardless of the distribution of the
data across filesystems.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu