Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root"

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root"
Date: 2005-01-14 00:22:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tomeh, Husam wrote:

> Wouldn't installing postgreSQL as postgres give me the convenience to
> upgrade PostgreSQL and the database without having the SA get involved.
> Is it a question of roles now? Should a DBA perform all
> postgreSQL-related tasks or should that the accountability be confused
> by having SA responsible for some DB tasks such as the installation and
> upgrades and the DBA responsible for the rest.. What do you think?

So then you open the possibility of a different person installing every
software package.  No, I think not.  The sys admin should be aware of
all installed software and changes.  What happens when you install a
particular package that requires, say N semaphores, but the kernel
doesn't have it to give?  Or worse, the app takes those sems while
another package that's been installed, uses sems on and off, and
suddenly does not have the sems it has always had?  Now you're looking
at this package having a problem where as the problem was created by the
installation/upgrade of another package.

The sys admin should be involved to some extent in all software
installations.

--
Until later, Geoffrey