Re: [pgadmin-support] I fixed a couple compile errors, but not all,

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Shea Martin <smartin(at)arcis(dot)com>,pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] I fixed a couple compile errors, but not all,
Date: 2005-01-13 10:19:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgadmin-support
Please stay on the list with pgadmin topics!

Shea Martin wrote:

> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>> Shea Martin wrote:
>>

>>> But now I have run into a problem I am not sure how to fix.  It looks
>>> like an autoboxing problem, but I could be wrong.  I didn't have a
>>> lot of time to look into it.
>>> The error is as follows:
>>> <code>
>>> make  all-recursive
>>> make[1]: Entering directory
>>> `/home/z1/SUN_PACKAGES/tarballs/postgres/pgadmin3-1.2.0'
>>> Making all in src
>>> make[2]: Entering directory
>>> `/home/z1/SUN_PACKAGES/tarballs/postgres/pgadmin3-1.2.0/src'
>>> if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
>>> -DDATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/pgadmin3/share/pgadmin3/\" -Wall -g
>>> -I../src/include -I../src/agent/include -I/usr/local/pgsql/include
>>> -DSSL -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/motif-ansi-release-2.5
>>> -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.5 -D__WXMOTIF__ -I/usr/openwin/include
>>

>> You're obviously compiling it for Motif, not GTK2; we never tried that
>> and you'll probably face several font related resizing problems there.

Additionally, you need to build it unicode; we won't support ansi mode
for pgadmin any more.

>>> utils/sysSettings.cpp: In constructor `sysSettings::sysSettings(const
>>> wxString&)':
>>

>> It exists for win32 and gtk2. Equivalent could be
>>     systemFont = new wxFont();
>>     systemFont->SetNativeFontInfo(fontName);
>> if you like to try it. I'd recommend GTK2, because with Motif you'll
>> be on your own unless you want to claim responsibility of the Motif
>> pgAdmin version.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>

> systemFont is statically allocated, so the above would not work.

Late at night... ok, so use systemFont.SetNativeFontInfo(fontName)

> I looked through the include dir of the gtk2 install, and didn't see
> this constructor.

Look closer.

> Why would wxWidgets define different public
> constructors for gtk and motif.

Dont ask me...

> I think I have the motif version installed.  I don't mind giving a hand
> to maintain it.  The code changes were minimal, and would work in the
> GTK2 version as well.

The porting work will be to get wx running correctly, pgadmin will be
the smaller part. Font and sizing handling needed more than a year's
work to be fixed for win32 and gtk until we finally had a working 2.5.3.

> Installing GTK2 is real PIA.  Luckily many OS's install it by default,
> like most all Linux's, and Solaris 10.  Unfortunately, Solaris 8 and 9
> are still pretty common.

Don't blame gtk for not being preinstalled on Solaris 8 and 9, blame Sun.

IIRC, you're the first user to ask for Motif in the last two years of
pgAdmin III development. I really wonder if it's worth the trouble.
Installing gtk2 might take some time, but it's a good documented and
safe way to get pgadmin running.

Regards,
Andreas