Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Robert Bernier (by way of Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>)" <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date: 2005-01-11 16:08:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>>issue. Certainly no more than companies like postgresql inc and postgresql
>>international and that company that sells mammoth postgresql and other
>>examples... we're a mixing pot on that end, and I think pervasive looks
>>like they are trying to approach things above board, so I think we should
>>give them as much helpful feedback as we can and be proud that an
>>established player wants to be a part of this community.
>>

>You're right of course, why be critical of Pervasive when so many others
> already do it? Except for the small matter that I'm right too. Somebody in
> the community currently controls the PostgreSQL trademark name and should
> get off his duff and make out the correct paper work by explicitly assigning
> permission. Does anybody remember that goof in california that sued Linus of
> using 'his' trademark'?

Well one major problem with the PostgreSQL trademark is that it
isn't enforced, and thus unenforceable. There is also no indication
that the trademark would ever be enforced. Trademarks must be enforced
vigorously in order to protect them.

As there have been several large corporations (and small ones) who
have used the PostgreSQL trademark without permission, and without
enforcement... We can probably forget enforcing in general.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>robert b

Attachment Content-Type Size