Re: Merging Data from Multiple DB

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: anon permutation <anonpermutation(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Merging Data from Multiple DB
Date: 2005-01-03 15:20:54
Lists: pgsql-general

anon permutation wrote:
> For performance reasons, each branch must has its own database and a
> centralized transactional system is not an option.
>
> I was considering just centralizing primary keys generation, but that
> seems very slow too.
>
> Segmenting primary keys among the branches is doable, but it is too much
> of a maintainence nightmare.
>
> What do you suggest?

We have a similar application. What we did is this:

1. Each database instance is assigned a unique identifier, stored in a 1
row, 1 column table (with a trigger to ensure it stays that way).

2. Write a function that can take two integers, convert them to text,
and concatenate them. In our case we convert to hex and concatenate with
a delimiter character.

3. Write another function, called something like 'nextrowid', that takes
a sequence name as its argument. Use the sequence name to get the next
value from the sequence, lookup the local unique identifier from the
table defined in #1, and pass them both to the function defined in #2.

4. Use nextrowid('seq_name') to generate your primary keys.

HTH,

Joe