Can't change password?

From: Eric Scott <scottclansman(at)cwazy(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can't change password?
Date: 2004-12-31 14:45:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Heya;
I have PostGreSQL 7.3.4 on Mandrake Linux 9.2. For some reason Webmin,
when I tell it to change the password of a pgsql user, acts like it's
working, but still leaves "requires password" set to "no." I've tried
running psql and executing "ALTER USER [username] WITH PASSWORD
'[password]'" with the same results. It gives no error messages... but
apparently the user still has no password.
I'm writing a C# program that accesses the database, and authentication
fails basically no matter what I try.

Any help? I'm stumped.
Thanx in advance,
Sigma

--
Registered Linux Freak #: 366,862

Red Hat Linux Fedora 2 x86/Athlon (Primary Workstation, this comp)
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 PPC/604e (Secondary Workstation)
Mandrake Linux 9.2 x86/AthlonXP (Server)
Spyro's Linux port ARM/XScale (PDA)

'For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully commited to him.'
2 Chronicles 16:9a