Re: Writing a new driver

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Atanas Atanasov <nasko(at)gyuvetch(dot)bg>
Cc: ODBC PostgreSQL <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Writing a new driver
Date: 2004-12-31 07:44:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Atanas Atanasov wrote:

> Hello mates,
>
> I am trying to write a simple ODBC driver for Windows. It can also be
> OLE DB or DAO driver but the final aim is to connect to a non-standard
> DBMS normally through ADO, DAO, OLE DB or ODBC etc. I tried to find
> any documentation o nline but it is very little. There are a few SDKs
> but they are not free so I cannot use any of them.
>
> In case any of you, who have developped the psqlODBC driver, know any
> source, have any tutorial, or can explain how can someone can write a
> simple read (and maybe after this read/write) driver please send it to
> me by email.
>
> I imagine it will be sort of a program implementing a standart
> interface which o n its back end will interact customly with a DBMS,
> files etc.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Atanas Atanasov

Hi Atanas,

First of all, the official documentation can be found online at
http://msdn.microsoft.com. Documentation for ODBC is available at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/dasdkodbcoverview.asp,
and for OLE DB at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/oledb/htm/dasdkoledboverview.asp.
Our of curiosity, what development tools were you thinking of using? If
you were going to use Visual Studio, the SDK comes as part of the
package. The same is true for most other packages as well. Even MinGW,
which is free (both speech and beer).

Depending on the use you need for this driver, you can start off from
one of the existing drivers. You can use psqlODBC, PgOleDb, or any other
open source ODBC or OLE DB driver out there. Please do pay attention to
the license, however. If your driver needs to be closed source, don't
use either one of the two I mentioned, as their license does not allow
such use.

In addition to that, in case this is relevant to you, my company does
software consulting. We developed the PostgreSQL OLE DB provider
(PgOleDb). Feel free to contact me privately for a price quote on a
similar project.

Hope this helps,

Shachar

--