Re: race condition for drop schema cascade?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: race condition for drop schema cascade?
Date: 2004-12-29 13:16:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kurt Roeckx wrote:

>>pgbuildfarm=# select name, operating_system, stage, count from buildsystems
>>b, (select sysname, stage, count(*) as count from build_status where log ~
>>'tablespace "testspace" is not empty' group by sysname, stage) as s where
>>s.sysname=b.name;
>>

>Note that the expected log has that as error message after a
>"drop tablespace testspace;", while it should works with a
>"drop tablespace testspace cascade;".
>
>How many of those errors are because of some other error?  Like
>dog for intance ran out of diskspace recently and had those in
>the logs.  I know panda also once ran out of diskspace, but the
>logs for that aren't available on the site anymore.
>
>When was the last time this error actually happened?  Because
>looking at emu (which seem to have it the most) shows that it's
>last 30 builds are all succesful.

You're right - my query was not sufficiently specific. There have in
fact been 4 failures:

pgbuildfarm=# select sysname, snapshot, stage, branch from build_status
where log ~ 'tablespace "testspace" is not empty.*tablespace "testspace"
is not empty' and not log ~ 'No space left';
 sysname |      snapshot       |    stage     | branch
 --------+---------------------+--------------+--------
 hare    | 2004-12-09 05:15:05 | Check        | HEAD
 otter   | 2004-12-11 15:50:09 | Check        | HEAD
 otter   | 2004-12-15 15:50:10 | Check        | HEAD
 gibbon  | 2004-12-28 23:55:05 | InstallCheck | HEAD

gibbon is a Cygwin box, otter and hare are both Debian 3.1 boxes, hare
on Alpha and otter on MIPS.

>PS: It might be nice to have an option to keep the last X days of
>all logs around.

You mean on the client? I'd rather not - the logs kept there are mostly
intended as debugging devices. The buildfarm db keeps the log from the
stage where an error occurred indefinitely. I intend to provide a way of
going back through that history - at the moment you can easily see the
last 30.

cheers

andrew