Re: race condition for drop schema cascade?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: race condition for drop schema cascade?
Date: 2004-12-29 03:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>I have seen this failure several times, but not consistently, on the
>>buildfarm member otter (Debian/MIPS) and possible on others, and am
>>wondering if it indicates a possible race condition on DROP SCHEMA CASCADE.
>>

>Hard to see what, considering that there's only one backend touching
>that tablespace in the test.  I'd be inclined to wonder if there's
>a filesystem-level problem on that platform.  What filesystem are you
>running on anyway?

I have just seen this error again, this time on Cygwin. I did a trawl thought the buildfarm history looking for other occurrences and found it happening on many platforms:

pgbuildfarm=# select name, operating_system, stage, count from buildsystems b, (select sysname, stage, count(*) as count from build_status where log ~ 'tablespace "testspace" is not empty' group by sysname, stage) as s where s.sysname=b.name;

   name    | operating_system |    stage     | count

 ----------+------------------+--------------+-------

 spoonbill | OpenBSD          | Check        |     2

 lionfish  | Linux            | Check        |     9

 kudu      | Solaris          | InstallCheck |     1

 kudu      | Solaris          | Check        |     5

 emu       | OpenBSD          | Check        |   137

 loris     | Windows          | Check        |     2

 gibbon    | Cygwin           | InstallCheck |     1

 panda     | Linux Debian     | Check        |     3

 otter     | Debian Linux     | Check        |     2

 hare      | Debian Linux     | Check        |     3

 dog       | Fedora Core      | Check        |    17

 fantail   | Linux            | Check        |     3

 osprey    | NetBSD           | Check        |    15

(13 rows)

cheers

andrew