Another Plpgsql trigger example - summary table

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Another Plpgsql trigger example - summary table
Date: 2004-12-29 03:03:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

I have always thought that an example of how to maintain a summary table
via triggers would be nice... but until the other day, had not attempted
to do one, so contributing a simplified version seemed like a good thing
to do.

I have made the example pretty much self contained, which unfortunately
means it is longish. This made me wonder about its placement (i.e in
plpgsql examples). It could go in a 'Data warehousing' chapter - if we
had one....

Any suggestions welcome.

best wishes

Mark

P.s : use is made of a schema from Ralph Kimball's "The Data Warehouse
Toolkit" - I mailed him to check it was ok (and it was, in fact he was
quite pleased)

Attachment Content-Type Size
plpgsql.sgml.diff text/plain 10.1 KB