Re: Irresponsible actions

From: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Irresponsible actions
Date: 2004-12-23 11:52:22
Lists: pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote:

> No, the doc section was not broken. The URLs had changed so users of
> phpPgAdmin (which links directly to them) could no longer find the
> pages, but the site itself was fine.

Sorry. Incorrect. Anyone who visited the docs section and clicked on
entries in the manual table of contents pages got a 404. For a couple of
hours after the site was launched. But of course, *testing* things seems
to be an afterthought.

> I count 4 people saying, yes, go for it, and one saying not yet.

Those 4 people had no idea of what the remaining issues with the site
were. Incidentally, you called for *any* objection, you did not call for
a vote. There's a difference. Even then, it's two people, and those two
people are responsible for hundreds of hours of work that made the
launch possible.

> Frankly, I'm glad I am not a customer of tinysofa if you treat them in
> the same way.

Incorrect again. tinysofa is not a commercial entity--we don't have
customers. You had already been told this previously.

tinysofa is just a name. It is also a free (libre, gratis) open source
Linux distribution that we created, which puts an emphasis on shipping
PostgreSQL related packages such as Slony1 within the core distribution.

We saw it fitting to give back to the community (please, note this,
*community* -- users, developers and vendors, not the "web team", not
you) under that name since we love PostgreSQL and use it extensively in
everything that we do.

I'm a (former, as of the end of this week) developer for a logistics
company that uses PostgreSQL, and Emily is a student (who was a
professional web developer for a web development firm, and then for a
company that publishes children's books) who uses PostgreSQL for one of
the most popular children's websites on the Internet.

You may not appreciate it, but we put hundreds of hours into the site
that you put up against our wishes (we knew you would, anyway.) The fact
that the *community* thinks the new site is as important to PostgreSQL
as the release of 8.0 is a testament that those hundreds of hours and
the battles that we fought every step of the way paid off.

Omar Kilani
  * and *
Emily Boyd