Re: postgresql.conf

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: John Cunningham <fatbobo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf
Date: 2004-12-22 16:01:22
Lists: pgsql-general

John Cunningham wrote:
> The machine in question will do nothing but serve databases. It's a
> dual 3.2Ghz Xeon with 100GB or 15K RPM RAID 5 and 8 GB of RAM. I'd
> like to configure it to get the most out of the server possible as far
> as shared memory, sort memore, etc. I haven't found a lot of
> documentation on this.

What OS?

> By the way, for some reason Postgres 7.4.x wouldn't install properly -
> had a problem with initdb - had to use 7.3.6

I had a similar problem under Fedora Core 3 that Tom Lane solved quickly
for me. From my notes:

Run '/usr/sbin/setenforce 0' before intializing database.
Ok to turn back on with '/usr/sbin/setenforce 1' afterwards.

Has to do with the Fedora using SELinux by default now.

Dunno if that is your situation...

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu