Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:
Date: 2004-12-22 03:15:33
Lists: pgsql-www

> This change has been reverted, pending proper discussion.
>
> - Offensive, culturally insensitive, religious text. ("Merry Christmas
> from the Web Team")

Uhhmmm... I normally wouldn't get invovled in such a discussion, but as
of tommorow, Solstice
is over and Hannukah (sp?) has been over for a while... It is a
Christmas present.

It is also not offensive to say Merry Christmas to someone, even if they
don't celebrate it.
If you take offense to it... well then get a life. It is not about
pushing and ideal or
a religious process onto anyone. It is depending on your belief:

1. A celebration of Christ in which you are expressing your happiness.
You don't have to agree with it.
You should be happy for the person who has the belief.

2. A celebration of the end of the year, which is what a minority of
people (in the US) view it as.

3. A painful reminder of the rampant consumerism that envelops the
majority of people and will quite
possibly be the cause of the fall of modern society.

O.k. I am getting a little negative now ;).

Long story short 1 and 2 aren't that bad... and most people on the
planet celebrate christmas because
of number 2, including areas such as Europe and Japan.

> - Content is self-expiring.

Yes and in a week it will say, Happy New Year!

> - Bad writing, improper grammar and capitalization.

Fair enough.

> - Asking for negative comments *only* means that... you'll only get
> *negative* comments!

I agree with this.

> Perhaps it would be wise to think about and thoroughly discuss a
> change prior to committing it to CVS, especially if the intention is
> to go live with it.

Fair enough.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake