DELETE versus TRUNCATE during pg_dump....

From: Patrick Hatcher <pathat(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DELETE versus TRUNCATE during pg_dump....
Date: 2004-12-21 10:21:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Pg 7.4.5

Curious: Why would a DELETE FROM tablename work while a pg_dump is
occurring but a TRUNCATE tablename will stay in a lock state until the
pg_dump is complete?

About 60% of our tables are refreshed daily from our Filemaker database
and we don't care if one or more of these tables are empty while we do
our daily backups.

TIA

Patrick