Re: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things
Date: 2004-12-20 22:44:11
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

Dave Page wrote:
> I believe most of them are the freebies. I'm not adverse to losing the
> ads altogether, but I do think we should credit the mirrors in a visible
> way (ie. Not one specific page). On the mirror selection page, or a
> per-mirror footnote seem the best options.

I think that the mirror selection page is *the* most natural place to credit the
mirrors. Current version of said page provides very little info --- it just
repeats the flag and the country name N times where N is the number of that
country's active mirrors. Giving the mirror owners' names and probably links to
their sites will not hurt here.

BTW, sourceforge download page is a nice example of giving credit to mirrors.

As for adding the footer, we should consider the technology required for that.
Some of the possibilities are:
1) Using SSI
2) Adding a placeholder to the page that the mirror owner can easily replace
with relevant banner
3) Using a linked Javascript file to output the banner.

All of them have advantages and drawbacks. Option 3) seems the easiest to me.