Re: Postgresql 8.0 RC1 not using indexes

From: Tony Caduto <tony(dot)caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.0 RC1 not using indexes
Date: 2004-12-19 03:37:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi Tom,
Yes I did a vacuum analyse right away.  As a  further test I  restored
the exact same data on another 7.4.5 server and  even without a  vacuum
analyse the importer program worked as expected(fast).
I posted some more info including screen shots of the importer running
in verbose mode on a 7.4.5 and a 8.0rc1 server, and much more info.  I
actually think I have it narrowed down to a select count(*)  in my
importer function.  It seems that the select count(*) is not using the
indexes that I have defined.  This same process has been in production
since June 04 and the indexes have not  been changed or deleted.   On
monday I am going to replace the count(*) with a for select and a
counter variable and see if the slowness goes away.  It really does seem
to be some issue/bug maybe or  just a difference in the 8.0 engine.

Thanks,

Tony Caduto