Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: andre farias <andrebf73(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: support pgadmin <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3
Date: 2004-12-18 11:08:09
Lists: pgadmin-support

andre farias wrote:
> Hi Raphaël.

Hi André,

sorry for the delay,

> i think you've got it!

mmmh not sure we got it all ;)

> all other gtk applications give me the same error
> "GTK: cannot open display" when lauched at the
> console tty1
>
> echo $DISPLAY gives me nothing at tty1

ok, so this part is normal:
pgAdmin is a GUI and needs a X server. There is no good reason to launch
it from tty1.

> i've opened the gnome terminal and there pgadmin3
> gives me segmentation fault and the echo $DISPLAY
> gives me :0.0
>
> attached goes the strace result.
>
> the version of my pgadmin III is 1.0.2.3.backpo from
> ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian

So, you are using a backport which was made for Debian/stable (aka woody).
I'm gonna check it twice but I don't remember that Gnome 2.2 is
distributed with Woody, to me it's 1.4 and maybe part of Gnome 2.0.

Can you tell us which Debian release you are using and from where your
Gnome 2.2 comes from?

If you are using woody + backports, a rebuild of the package may help
(or not). If you are using sarge or unstable, you should definitely
update your installation (sarge is moving to Gnome 2.8) and change your
sources.list for pgAdmin III packages.

A backtrace may help too in addition to the strace log you have already
sent.
$ gdb pgadmin3
at (gdb) prompt, type "run" and whent it crashes type "bt"

Regards,
Raphaël