Re: BUG #1350: Backslash ecape charcter violates ISO/ANSI

From: Ken Johanson <ken(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1350: Backslash ecape charcter violates ISO/ANSI
Date: 2004-12-17 15:21:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>We have a TODO item:
>
>	* Allow backslash handling in quoted strings to be disabled for
>	portability
>
>	  The use of C-style backslashes (.e.g. \n, \r) in quoted strings is not
>	  SQL-spec compliant, so allow such handling to be disabled.
>
>Unfortunately that's all we have.  :-)

Thanks, glad to hear it's on the radar. From what I can tell it the
broadest reaching standards incompatibility in the server. And, it's
preventing some project managers from adopting the server as an
alternative to the commercial ones (Its always been an easy-to-cite, and
well justified concern that the backslash behavior is incompatible with
other DBs and specs).

Thx,
ken