Re: [pgadmin-support] crash

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Pico <picodon(dot)forever(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Hugo Ferreira <hmf(at)inescporto(dot)pt>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org,PgAdmin Hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,Jean-Michel POURE =?ISO-8859-1?Q? <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] crash
Date: 2004-12-11 09:38:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgadmin-support
Dear all,

it seems that the list is back online ;) Let's try to move on.

Concerning this particular problem, it seems I was right thinking to an
UTF-8/non UTF-8 problem:

Pico wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>

>> Can you precise a bit please? Which menu? All menus?
>>All special char? éèëê and so on?
>>Which locale are you using?
> I have done an inventory.
>
> It seems that only tabs are wrong (tabs in main window, tabs in dialog
> boxes...).
> Elsewhere (menus, items of dialogboxes...) the french specific
> caracteres are successfully displayed.

In fact, Patrice has the following locales under MDK:
LANG=fr_FR
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR
LC_NUMERIC=fr_FR
LC_TIME=fr_FR
LC_COLLATE=fr_FR
LC_MONETARY=fr_FR
LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR
LC_PAPER=fr_FR
LC_NAME=fr_FR
LC_ADRESS=fr_FR
LC_TELEPHONE=fr_FR
LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR
LC_INDENTIFICATION=fr_FR
LC_ALL=

Positionning locales correctly to UTF-8 ones corrects the behaviour of pga3:
$ export LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8
$ pgadmin3        -------> IS OK :)

I don't know well MDK and have no free time at the moment for searching
a good and definitive solution to force the whole desktop to use UTF-8.
If there are any Mandrake wizard on the list that would be cool to help
Patrice moving to UTF-8.

What I don't really understand (did not investigate deeply):
a) I tried putting locales to fr_FR (in a shell, not the whole Desktop)
on my Debian and launching pga3 is ok.
b) Anyway that pga3 detects non UTF-8 locales and try to force using the
corresponding UTF-8 one and revert to a non unicode if it does not find it?

Last but not least, Patrice suggested that we update the download page
to reflect the MDK version we "support". I'll provide a patch as soon as
possible (I really lack free time at the moment) but I can't find any
MDK version in the release ftp dir. IIRC Jean-Michel used to provide them.
@Jean-Michel: are you planning to deliver packages for MDK or shall
someone else take care of them?

Regards,
Raphaël