Re: Postgres Database Design Issues in Tablespace

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: SehatRosny <SehatRosny(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Database Design Issues in Tablespace
Date: 2004-12-06 16:34:30
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
SehatRosny schrieb:
> Refering to 20 tables which can be partition
> A. All departments tables is put into 20 tables.
>    some querying of 20 millions records.
>
> B. For each department create tablespace. (Which means, if there
>  are 7000 departments, there will be 7000 tablespace each contains
>  20 tables).
> A1. Use A option,
>     As tables become huge. partition the tables which hits often
>     and has large size file(usually when it bigger than 2-3 GB size)
>     into separate tablespace.
> B1. Use B option,
>     Creating 7000 TableSpace for Departments
>       - One Department has one tablespace
>       - Each Department has 20 tables

> Question :
>   1. Is it B1 the right approach?
>   2. Is progresql will have problems if I have 7000 tablespace?

why tablespace at all? do some caclulation, buy a large disc and forget
about tablespace. (i.e. symlinks)

postgresql-cygwin certainly will have problems which such a
configuration. Please use a decent operating system and filesystem for
such a crazy idea.

cygwin is certainly not suited well for such a production database.
consider native windows or any unix instead.

NTFS is certainly not suited well for > 500 files per dir.
consider a unix filesystem instead.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/