Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?
Date: 2004-12-05 18:07:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On 12/3/2004 3:08 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Jan Wieck wrote:

>>> I don't think so ... even stuff hosted on pgfoundry shouldn't really be
>>> included, IMHO ...
>>
>> Can we move Slony into contrib, please?
>>
>> Just kidding, I don't want it there for several reasons. But do you really
>> say that it isn't a major contribution?
>
> It is, but "Slony" isn't a business entity, so how can it be a corporate
> sponsor? :)  this is, in fact, what we are discussing ... "corporate
> sponsors" ...

Slony is a project originally sponsored by Afilias, developed and
released under the BSD license, managed on gborg. So Slony is the
contribution and Afilias the business entity.

> And, like JDBC ... who do we list?  Affilias started it, but I believe
> that DarcyB is doing alot of work on it now, as is David Fetter ... so
> there are three 'corporate sponsors' there ... and that is only those that
> I can think of off the top of my head ...
>
> Software is an 'icky' ground because of this :(

It is indeed. We both have the advantage of being involved with
companies that undoubtedly are corporate sponsors. Especially because of
that we two also should not raise the bar for it too high. Could be
interpreted as self-serving.

Jan