Re: WIN1252 encoding - backend or not?

From: Roland Volkmann <roland(dot)volkmann(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIN1252 encoding - backend or not?
Date: 2004-12-04 22:53:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Magnus,

Magnus Hagander schrieb am 04.12.2004 18:08:

>Hi!
>
>I was going to add WIN1252 to the installer, because I was under the
>impression it was a "server side" encoding. But initdb won't accept
>it...
>
>Looking at include/mb/pg_wchar.h, I notice that:
> PG_WIN1252, /* windows-1252
>*/
>
>is listed *above* the line stating /* followings are for client encoding
>only */.
>
>But further down we have:
>#define PG_ENCODING_BE_LAST PG_WIN1250
>

>One of these has to be wrong. Eitehr it's a server encoding, and then
>the #define should be changed to PG_WIN1252. Or it's a client only
>encoding, in which case it should be moved down to that part of the
>enum. Right?

I'm the one who originally posted the patch. But the
"include/mb/pg_wchar.h" was as complete source in the ZIP attached to
my mail on 02.11.04 as well as patch in my mail on 30.11.04 with
correct contents.

And also in the confirmation of Bruce Momjian from 30.11.04 "Your patch
has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list ..." there was
the correct file contents listed.

So what happened? - How can I make sure that my patches will be applied
correctly, also for further patches?

With best regards,

Roland.