Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?
Date: 2004-12-03 19:12:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> The issues that aren't clear are:
> 1) do all mirrors get listed?
       I would say not as corporate sponsors possibly something else?

> 2) does documentation "count" as much as code?
       More so.

> 3) do add-ins count if they are completely externally hosted?

> 4) If yes to (3), do they still count if they are not OSS?
       Hmmm... no.

> "stingy" with listings; for the same reason, I wouldn't suggest "expiring"
> companies unless they go out of business.

I think personally that there should be an expiration date to some
level. What if they up and decide they want to be a MySQL shop and stop
supporting PostgreSQL?...

> However, before you give an opinion, you should be aware that under that set
> of rules, Elein's company Varlena LLC would not be listed with "corporate
> sponsors", despite providing the quite valuable "General Bits".  While very
> useful,  100% PG-oriented, and free, GB is "all rights reserved" and hosted
> entirely at

So the question is what would it take to get Elein's company listed?
Based on the above I see:

She just has to Open Source general bits? I would be o.k. with that.

> So, opinions?

One of the reasons I believe it is very important to support externally
hosted projects/sites is that in reality, the PostgreSQL infrastructure
doesn't support the needs of many projects.

I don't think we should punish projects because their primary
development platform is Linux instead of FreeBSD or EGAD Windows.

Joshua D. Drake

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.
+1-503-667-4564 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com -