Re: [pgsql-www] Corporate Contributors WAS: merging advocacy and

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Corporate Contributors WAS: merging advocacy and
Date: 2004-12-03 18:29:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www

>>An example is Practical PostgreSQL. That book has been
>>online since the day it hit shelves, free for anyone to use.
>>But it isn't the same as say donating patches to ECPG or
>>PlPerl which gets directly injected into the community.
>>Practical PostgreSQL is a community resource, but it is
>>not community sponsored.
>

> On the other hand, PL/PHP is considered a "contribution" even though it is
> hosted at CMD's site.

Well that brings up another paradigm of course, which would be
popularity. If I recall, plPHP was actually considered to be put into
core but it can't be because it was a circular dependency.

(You have to have the PHP source to make plPHP, that is not the case
with plPerl or plPython).

To be honest I hadn't even thought about plPHP because oddly enough
plPerlNG is more popular.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.