Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-12-03 13:19:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> No, it doesn't, unless it finds a placeholder such as $Id. Even then, I
> don't think it does so for binary files.

Of course $Id would be necessary. But if CVS doesn't stamp the file, how
do you want CVS to handle the revision marking?

> I think I was asking why we shouldn't include the languages in the
> update zip file, but it was a few days ago now :-) Forget about it!

?!?
You can consider zip as another compression/packaging format, similar to
chm. I'm not sure whether wxLocale can handle this too.

>>>As I also suggested though, there should be an option to turn off
>>>auto-checking on the options dialogue. But I could live with non
>>>flashing.
>>
>>Disabling autocheck and not updating immediately are different things.
>

> The option controls the background checking for updates. If you then
> double click the alert icon, a dialogue is presented allowing you to
> select a mirror and download.

Its not as easy as that...
for pgadmin base package, I'd only inform about new packages. I wonder
if we can do this even system specific, i.e. inform about deb packages
on debian, ...
For languages, a more complex selection for updating existing and adding
new ones is necessary.

Regards,
Andreas