RFC: Statistics logging of auto update http queries

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RFC: Statistics logging of auto update http queries
Date: 2004-12-03 12:44:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
When pgAdmin is checking for new available updates, I'd like to transfer
some statistical data as well, so we can get some kind of information
about our users. To have this clean regarding privacy, we should discuss
how to do this. Here are my ideas:

- Feature should be enabled by default
- Before the first update check is performed, the user must be informed
about what's going to happen, pointing to the help item describing the
post format and the possibility to disable it.
- The docs must state clearly what data is transmitted, how it's
collected, what we do with it (and what we promise never to do), and
point to the sources handling that data for reviewing purposes.

Data transmitted:
- pgadmin version in use
- language in use
- update interval (to calculate a weight)
- number of registered servers
- major version of servers that have been used with pgadmin (collected
in the registry)

Collected: as above, plus country taken from requesting ip address.
Explicitely not to collect: ip address.

This data would allow us to estimate the number of pgadmin instances
running worldwide, its global distribution and language usage (and
resulting from that, which additional languages should be supported).
Number of registered servers and versions will give us some hint about
the server side.

Dave, do you know some OSS authority to review this policy?

Regards,
Andreas

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-12-03 12:59:05