Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-12-03 12:18:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
>>Not directly. The binaries would be corrupted. In the rare
>>case of typo
>>fixes without count change the count could be increased
>>manually. It's a
>>  kind of version number anyway. We could use the date too.
> Why would binaries be corrupted?

CVS would change the file to insert the version, which would probably
corrupt the binary structure.
>>We don't need that. A newer language file also covers
>>previous versions.
> Does it? You mean, if we remove strings from the source, they remain in
> the po files after a merge?
Right, that's what pgadmin3-release.pot is good for. We rarely remove
strings, so this seems reasonable.
>>>Have you thought about documentation updates?
>>Um, no. No problem really, because we already can load the doc from a
>>zip. Consequently, we should stop distributing single files, and
>>distribute the zip only.
> In that case then, why distribute the languages seperately?

I don't understand the question. We *do* distribute the languages
packaged, no?
> As I also suggested though, there should be an option to turn off
> auto-checking on the options dialogue. But I could live with non
> flashing.

Disabling autocheck and not updating immediately are different things.
>>Or toolbar button, which changes appearance if download is available.
> No, I don't think we should use the tool bar. It's there to allow the
> user to control the application, not to provide feedback.

Every 60 days (e.g.) updates are checked, and a feedback is given to the
user. After that, the user might decide to upgrade immediately, or do it
Statusbar icon seems the best solution (but it will need some effort;
tooltip and doubleclick on that icon must be supported)