Re: starting the database server

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Nefnifi, Kasem" <Kasem(dot)Nefnifi(at)atosorigin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: starting the database server
Date: 2004-11-30 13:16:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Nefnifi, Kasem wrote:
> thanks Richard for the reaction,
> bellow a print screen of the error that I get when I try to start the
> service from windows services control panel:
> ole0.bmp

Try and stick to cutting and pasting text rather than embedding images -
lots of people on the lists will be reading/posting in plain text rather
than HTML. Also images use a lot more bandwidth than text.

Anyway - "The service did not return an error". Seems unlikely that you
wouldn't get some sort of error. Make sure your logging is turned on in
postgresql.conf and then check your system logs for an error message -
there should be something unless PG is failing *very* early in the startup.

If we still can't generate an error message, it might be worth trying to
start the backend from the command-line.

The second error message you sent "Connection refused" just means the
application couldn't contact the PG backend. We know it can't since the
service isn't starting.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd