Re: multiline CSV fields

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multiline CSV fields
Date: 2004-11-30 13:03:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Greg Stark wrote:

>Personally I find the current CSV support inadequate. It seems pointless to
>support CSV if it can't load data exported from Excel, which seems like the
>main use case.

OK, I'm starting to get mildly annoyed now. We have identified one
failure case connected with multiline fields. Even in the multiline
case, I expect that the embedded newlines will usually match those of
the CSV file, in which case there will be no failure. It's a very big
step from there to the far more general "can't load data exported from
Excel". Or did you have some other limitation in mind?

FWIW, I don't make a habit of using multiline fields in my spreadsheets
- and some users I have spoken to aren't even aware that you can have
them at all.

cheers

andrew