Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Johan Wehtje <joweht(at)tpgi(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Simeó Reig <simeo(at)incofisa(dot)com>,pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...
Date: 2004-11-30 12:45:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Johan Wehtje wrote:
> I also think that a high performance ODBC driver will be critical to
> the success of Postgresql 8.0, given that the advent of Native
> windows support offers such a huge opportunity for Postgresql to show
> it's mettle as a MS SQL Server killer. In particular what is the
> status of the ODBC driver in relation to the many changes that have
> occurred between 7.x and 8. ?

AFAIK no substantial changes have been made in the ODBC driver recently.
Dave generously stepped forward to look after the project until a lead
developer came forward. We're still waiting for that person to come forward.

> On Windows platforms ODBC will remain the default method to quickly
> link a Database with any number of applications for some time to
> come.

The central problem is that none of us have the skills and/or time to
build/maintain an ODBC driver even though we'd all like to see updates.
There are three options I can see possible:
1. Someone steps up and takes over development as before
2. Increased use by Windows users leads to a Windows developer to step
forward and go to #1
3. The ODBC driver is replaced with a wrapper to another driver
(JDBC/.Net) hopefully reducing the maintenance requirements.

There is an ODBC=>JDBC gateway out there (closed-source I believe) but I
don't know of a .Net one.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd