Re: change natural column order

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Joolz <joolz(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Subject: Re: change natural column order
Date: 2004-11-30 11:15:57
Lists: pgsql-general
Joolz wrote:

>>I dont think the overhead in implementing such a rarely needed
>>feature isnt worth it. We need a lot more other things ;-)
>

> I agree. Only I think this wouldn't require new functionality, I
> have a gut feeling that this is possible as it is. Now only find out
> how :)

I think you'll find you're out of luck. IIRC there was some discussion
on the hackers list regarding a mapping layer that would let you
re-order columns. I think the decision was "too much work for too small
a gain".

You have my sympathies, but you knew you weren't supposed to rely on the
ordering.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd