Re: USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...

From: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-11-29 22:14:02
Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

 > The WWW folks just put up a survey asking:
 >
 > "If there was an official newsgroup for postgresql, would you switch to
 > using Usenet from using the mailing lists?"

Switch no, use in addition yes.

I subscribe to several of the mailing lists that I find most
interesting, but I also dip into other lists such as committers and
hackers occasionally to keep up with what's going on without being
subject to all the email noise from those lists.

I find newsgroups very useful for quickly downloading the headers and
picking the subjects of interest rather then wading through emails and
clearing out the ones I dont want to read.

I think it is important to maintain *both* forms of communication, but
also give wider promotion of the existence and usage of the newsgroups.

It seems from what I read so far the the main users of the mailing lists
will not move over to newgroups. Good for them. Hopefully, the up and
coming release of 8.0 will generate wider interest, particularly from
the Windows users, many of which will look to usenet first for
"information".

Just my 2(replace with local currency) worth,

Gary.