Re: multiline CSV fields

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multiline CSV fields
Date: 2004-11-29 14:00:28
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>>OK, then should we disallow dumping out data in CVS format that we can't
>>>load?  Seems like the least we should do for 8.0.
>>>

>>As Tom rightly points out, having data make the round trip was not the
>>goal of the exercise. Excel, for example, has no trouble reading such
>>data (or at least my installation of it).
>>
>>Personally I consider CSVs with line end chars embedded in fields to be
>>broken anyway, but this was something that was specifically mentioned
>>when we were discussing requirements, which is why I coded for it.
>>

>OK, I am pretty uncomforable with this but you know this usage better
>than I do.  Should we issue a warning message stating it will not be
>able to be reloaded?

If it bothers you that much. I'd make a flag, cleared at the start of
each COPY, and then where we test for CR or LF in CopyAttributeOutCSV,
if the flag is not set then set it and issue the warning.

Longer term I'd like to be able to have a command parameter that
specifies certain fields as multiline and for those relax the line end
matching restriction (and for others forbid multiline altogether). That
would be a TODO for 8.1 though, along with optional special handling for
first line column headings.

cheers

andrew