version 7.4 autocommit removed

From: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: version 7.4 autocommit removed
Date: 2004-11-29 09:47:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

The Release Notes on 7.4 state

Observe the following incompatibilities:

The server-side autocommit setting was removed and reimplemented in
client applications and languages. Server-side
autocommit was causing too many problems with languages and applications
that wanted to control their own autocommit
behavior, so autocommit was removed from the server and added to
individual client APIs as appropriate.

So I tried
set autocommit to off
after connecting to my database and expected a session-wide autocommit
off.

It failed saying
SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF is no longer supported

Could someone please enlighten me how this first sentence should be
understood:
The server-side autocommit setting was removed and reimplemented in
client applications and languages.

Regards, Christoph