Installing the Windows version

From: "David A(dot) Cobb" <superbiskit(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing the Windows version
Date: 2004-11-28 20:17:01
Lists: pgsql-novice
I've downloaded the 8.0-beta1 version of the Windows port of pgsql.  I
had a Cygwin server up once before and there may be artifacts of it left
about.

Anyway, I cannot get past the installation of the Windows version.
Consistently, the INITDB fails, generally accompanied by 'access denied'
messages that spin past so quickly I can't tell what is being
attempted.  Despite the final message, there's no log file left in
<install-dir>/tmp.

So, now I'm left with no server and left to contend with a different
product for my database.

One thing important to me, I do NOT wish the data to reside in the
%ProgramFiles% area.  The first time, I put it on a vfat partition --
that failed utterly, and now I have it on the same NTFS partition with
my other data and documents.

Has anyone done this successfully?  Can anyone suggest what I should be
on the lookout for?

Thanks,

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Evert MeulieDate: 2004-11-29 09:34:31