Re: lwlocks and starvation

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lwlocks and starvation
Date: 2004-11-24 12:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I thought the new readers will sit after the writer in the FIFO queue so
> the writer will not starve.

AFAICS, that is not the case. See lwlock.c, circa line 264: in LW_SHARED
mode, we check if "exclusive" is zero; if so, we acquire the lock
(increment the shared lock count and do not block). And "exclusive" is
set non-zero only when we _acquire_ a lock in exclusive mode, not when
we add an exclusive waiter to the wait queue.

(Speaking of which, the "exclusive" field is declared as a "char"; I
wonder if it wouldn't be more clear to declare it as "bool", and treat
it as a boolean field. The storage/alignment requirements should be the
same (bool is a typedef for char, at least a C compiler), but IMHO it
would be more logical.)

-Neil