Re: joins INNER, OUTER, LEFT, RIGHT, FULL, ...

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raa(at)mailporter(dot)net>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: joins INNER, OUTER, LEFT, RIGHT, FULL, ...
Date: 2004-11-24 05:32:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jaime Casanova wrote:

>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/queries-table-expressions.html#QUERIES-JOIN

Been there, done that. Bought several tee-shirts.

>What do you mean with *complex joins*?

SELECT first, last, username || '@' || dom.domain as emailaddress
FROM cust_main cm
LEFT OUTER JOIN cust_pkg cp ON ( cm.custnum = cp.custnum )
LEFT OUTER JOIN cust_svc cs ON ( cp.pkgnum = cs.pkgnum )
LEFT OUTER JOIN svc_email em ON ( cs.svcnum = em.svcnum )
LEFT OUTER JOIN svc_domain dom ON ( em.domain = dom.svcnum )
WHERE zip = '99999'
AND username || '@' || dom.domain != '@'

Which worked until I added one more table with a one-to-one relation to
cust_main.custnum. Then I got several tuples (2+) for each row above.

Rod
--

---