joins INNER, OUTER, LEFT, RIGHT, FULL, ...

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raa(at)mailporter(dot)net>
To: PgSQL ADMIN <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: joins INNER, OUTER, LEFT, RIGHT, FULL, ...
Date: 2004-11-23 17:03:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Be gentle as I come from an Oracle background a long time ago.

I am trying to join several tables with a couple of tables having a one
to many relationship. I got one query working pretty well but the issue
comes about when I add one more table with a one-to-one relationship. I
get a semi/pseudo Cartesian join.

I'm not asking for the exact solution but a pointer to a _good_
reference on complex joins. My searching on the PostgreSQL site and
Google only turn up examples of simple joins. I did forget to look at
the two PostgreSQL books I have at home -- Bruce's and Practical
PostgreSQL -- last night so if there are some in them a light tap with
the clue-stick will suffice.

Thanks,
Rod
--