RFC: Update wizard

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-11-21 18:04:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Hi friends,

preparing for the forthcoming 1.3/1.4 version, I'm already prototyping a
little on automatic updates, and there are a lot of decisions to take.

We have three areas to update:
- The program itself. We will just notify the user that there's
something new he might be interested in (depending on beta/release).
- the current language. A word count can be used as version. Automatic
download/installation possible.
- a different language, which might require an update pgadmin3.lng too.
Since the language isn't necessarily loaded, no version check can be
performed.

Questions:
- How to inform the user about possible updates? MsgBox? Toolbar button
showing enabled? Update check will be performed asynchronously, so it
might pop up in the middle of something.
- Dedicated update dialog or an options tab?
- We could post some statistical data about the pga installation
(OS/version/backend versions/server count/???) to get a little feedback;
how to collect these?

Multiple opinions welcome.

Regards,
Andreas

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Raphaƫl EnriciDate: 2004-11-21 19:10:35