Re: Vote on Omar Design

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vote on Omar Design
Date: 2004-11-20 22:04:40
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

First of all: that's the kind of attitude we value here. I'm sure that you'll
feel at home in our web team. ;

Omar Kilani wrote:
>> Sorry if it offends you, but your name is not quite English-sounding
>> to me.
>
> Neither is yours. Yet I never presumed anything about your level of
> English competency.
>
> It's a global world and you're on the Internet. People with non-English
> sounding names are everywhere, and a lot of them speak and write better
> English than those with English sounding names. Please be mindful of
> this fact before making assumptions about people.

Judging by the quality of this rant, you *are* the native English speaker and
are perfectly able to write content for postgresql.org. Glad to know.

> Since the side navigation persists across every category, and the top
> element is always the root of the category, it didn't/doesn't seem
> necessary.

Usability stuff, you know.

> Variable versus fixed width shouldn't hold up progress. Yes, it's
> possible to make it variable width, and yes, I understand the geek
> factor of variable width: scalability, flexibility, etc. But it does not
> take into account usability or aesthetics, which are much more
> important. If variable width is a requirement, then the requirement is
> flawed.

I fail to see how fixed-width adds to usability while variable-width reduces it.

> Everything has pros and cons. When taking our design into account, I
> believe the pros far outweigh the cons. That makes it a winner to me.

That's your design so you cannot be objective, obviously.

>> As for RedHat... well... the more I look at that the more I see some
>> uncanny *similarities* with your design. Care to comment?
>
> Look at mozilla.org, macromedia.com, apple.com, redhat.com, nikon.com,
> wacom.com, ford.com, benq.com, fiat.com, blogger.com, gmail.com,
> oxygen.com, nbc.com etc.

Right now I'm looking at redhat.com and see the *same*
three-links-and-a-search-box thingy on the topmost part of the page and the
*same* grey-menu-with-rounded-edges-and-white-letters as on
http://postgresql.tinysofa.com/

>> P.S. I had some questions [1] concerning your language-handling patch
>
> 1) Didn't see it in .htaccess. Revert if you like. Though I haven't seen
> anyone not have it in their code.

Oh, I didn't realise that so many sites actually use this. It is considered Bad
practice in Russian-language part of the internet: there are several charsets
for Russian, the page may be recoded and it is quite possible that charset
embedded in page's HTML will not match actual charset.

> 3) It handles them by ignoring them:
>
> + $accepts_lang = explode(';', $accepts_lang);
> + $accepts_lang = $accepts_lang[0];
>
> Since they're already sorted, and you want the first valid language.
> Again, revert if you like. Or add support for q.

OK, I'll add support for it later.