Re: Vote on Omar Design

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vote on Omar Design
Date: 2004-11-19 20:12:51
Lists: pgsql-www
Hi,

Josh Berkus wrote:
>>Therefore, I'm willing to support Omar's design, but *after* the content
>>fixing and porting work is finished. This work may continue even in the
>>current design.
>
> I was under the impression that porting the content to Lucasz' design, putting
> it up, applying Omar's design, and then re-arranging the content to fit
> Omar's design, was much more work than just doing Omar's design.   Was I
> mistaken?

These tasks are orthogonal. Most of the pages would fit in any design and I
doubt Omar did any changes to them at all when "porting".

> And Omar has already ported part of the content to his design as an example,
> and is willing to do more.    It would be one thing if you'd said that
> Lucasz' design was the only way we'd get a new site up by 8.0, but you've not
> said that ... so both options seem to be equivalent, and Omar's is the better
> looking design, at least I've not seen anyone say otherwise.

I took a look at http://postgresql.tinysofa.com and it looks like the site has
all the current content ported to the new[er] design, including advocacy stuff.

Thus +1 for Omar's design.

My main point was that we need content authors and editors now, not programmers
/ designers. I have some doubts that Omar is a native English speaker and will
be able to write content.

>>Omar has
>>been submitting patches which are being reviewed and getting committed
>>so things seem ok there.
>
> Yes, but Omar splitting his time between his design and Lucasz's is far less
> effective than Omar working full time on his design.

The patches he sent are orthogonal to the design, ask him if you don't believe me.

> Who's "we"?   I don't recall a spec document anywhere that says that the
> design has to be "stretchy", nor do I recall any discussion on this list to
> that effect.   Maybe my memory is faulty, give me a link.

There *of course* wasn't any spec document (who do you think we are?) but there
were discussions on that particular issue, back in spring I think.

Thus I'd very much like to see a variable-width version of Omar's design, I
doubt there will be any serious problems to change it.

>>From my perspective:
> 1) Omar's design is undeniably better-looking and easier to navigate than
> Lucasz's;

Agreed, with the exception of fixed-width issue.

> 2) Porting to Omar's design rather than Lucasz's will make no difference in
> the go-live time of the web site;

Agreed.

> 3) Omar has demonstrated that he will be around to help with the port, which I
> don't think Lucasz is (since www-committers has no public archive, I can't
> tell if Lucasz has been helping quietly in the background).

There *is* a public archive: http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/pgweb-commits
You are right: Lukasz only did the design.

Speaking of which, if Omar wants to "be around", he should register a gborg
account and convince Dave to add him as a pgweb project developer.