Re: Emacs vs Vi (Was: Re: PostgreSQL in the press

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Emacs vs Vi (Was: Re: PostgreSQL in the press
Date: 2004-11-17 17:12:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Since the history on this was cut off, I would just like to remind
> everyone that it was Josh Berkus' idea to start a thread on emacs vs vi
> (altho, of course, he did suggest it "tongue in cheek" ... the rest of
> us just had to jump onto the bandwagon *grin*) ...

Noted ;)

> between them, compiling without exiting the editor ... one thing that it
> did do nicely was that if you compiled inside of the editor, the
> 'errors' linked to the actual code itself, so you could jump right to it
>
> Between screen and X though, vi uses less resources, and other then the
> 'jumping to the buggy code' feature, the rest can be easily duplicated ...

I like joe which has wordstar type key bindings and is modeless. You can
do the whole multi-screen,buffer deal as well.

I also know vi but will use joe anytime I can :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 640 bytes